wings_museum_sussex_surrey
 

 

About the Curators of the Wings Museum

 
Sharing a life long passion for warbirds for over 40 years & with a growing collection of memorabilia the Hunt brothers establised the Wings Museum in 2003 based at the "Old Gas Decontammination Block" at Redhill Aerodrome. Later the museum moved into Hanger 9 (the first hanger to be errected at Redhill Aerodrome in 1934) it was at this time that we became a registered charity. The museum has since relocated to Balcombe in West Sussex.
 
How did it all start?
 
During the late 1970's whilst visiting family in Norfolk, the family would often take long walks along the old 8th Air Force runways & perimeter track in East Anglia. It wasn't long before relics from the 1940's were discovered by the two young brothers. These relics were often found laying on the surface! the first such discovery was a gunsite from a .50 Calibre Browning Machine Gun, this was found on the edge of a ploughed filed at Flixstone by their father. The gunsite was the start of it all, as the brother's grew up they began to explore more & more. The gunsite can be seen on display in the museum along with a lot of other discoveries made on the old airfields of East Anglia.
 
Some great experiences along the way!
 
Our hobby has taken us all over Europe including, France, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Russia and even Sibera! we have met many people over the years and we have seen some extremely interesting "out of the way" areas. We are proud to have done our bit in preserving & rescuing items from our aviation heritage.
 
 
wings_museum_curators
 
We would like to thank all those that have helped us over the years and especially our voluteers who donate their spare time to assist the museum. We hope you can visit the museum soon & share some of our discoveries * experiiences.
 
 
 
 

© Wings Museum